After about a year and half of aggressively collecting the Starbucks City Mug collection (the 2008 icon series), I thought I have enough to be happy about – well at least for the moment. Plus, since my current set of shelves is already fully stacked, I decided it would be nice to post and share the collection here – something that’s not entire about photography this time but still about a thing that I’m passionate about.
I love coffee. I’d like to believe that I drink it so much that the caffeine doesn’t affect by hormones anymore to make me sleepy. I remember that as early as high school, my mom would make a pitcher or iced-coffee while I study for exams (not exaclly to keep me awake but more of my reward in exchange for not watching TV and staying home all day just to study). It has since then become a habit (the coffee and not the studying) and the introduction of gourmet/high-end coffees just made that habit more interesting. Right now, my lovely wife prepares different iced espresso-based coffee everyday for breakfast and it really is life’s simple pleasures.
I probably am the last person you’d expect to collect something. I’m unorganized, I really lose things easily and I’m also the type who gets bored with things fast. But this love for coffee, my obvious passion for photography, and my desire to travel the world make collecting these mugs very fitting. I’ve always wanted something significant to remind me of my journeys aside from the photographs that I take, and these were perfect. :)
So again, I’m happy to share this collection of mugs to my blog visitors, it is something that like everything else that I desire, pursue with great pride ands success :) hehehe. It will be also be worth reading some facts about he collection and the Starbucks mugs themselves, in the pointers below :) So enjoy and until our next great destination :)
– There are currently 268 kinds of these 2008 Icon Series City Mugs. And while there had been several releases since Starbucks made city mugs, this is the only series that I collect simply because they are beautiful if they are of the same series.
– My current collection is 69 mugs. 5 not shown here are from places I haven’t been to and 4 others I just got yesterday.
– I only collect mugs from the countries that I’ve been to. I have some mugs that were given to me as a gift but if I haven’t been to that place, I don’t put it up there yet.
– There are 10 mugs from the Philippines and I only have 7. Bacolod I will get this October and then I still have no idea when I’ll get Naga and Cagayan de Oro.
– There are countries that I’ve been to that don’t have Starbucks (Italy and India) and there are countries that don’t have the mug even if they have a Starbucks there (Japan and just recently Qatar came up with their mug).
– If I visit the city/country for another time, I’d likely buy another mug. These are extras that I trade with sometimes or those that we actually use at home.
– My very first mug is Hawaii and then Pike Place Seattle was the second. I thought then that I got two of the more unique mugs that I may never get again so that very thing inspired me to start the collection.
– I only had I mug that was broken and was my Phoenix mug. Which since then I have replaced and actually now have a spare.
– To know more about Starbucks mug collection, visit fred orange and be overwhelmed.